Saturday, December 09, 2006

- Displaying your Jewelry for Online Sale -

When you are selling your jewelry online, you have to put special effort into proper presentation, as customers only have the pictures to go by. One aspect of this is the way the pieces are physically displayed. I have seen online ads for quite expensive jewelry displayed on a carpet or bed spread - that is a real turn-off.

Here are some of your options:
  • Display jewelry in nature. Hanging earrings from a branch or placing a bracelet on a lily pad can have its charms, but the background colors can distract from the jewelry, and what do you do if the weather is not suitable for taking new photos?

  • Using glass. I sometimes see necklaces draped over glass bowls and bracelets over wine glasses. While this lets the colors of the jewelry stand out, there can be problems with reflected light, and it might be hard to imagine how a piece would look on your body.

  • Making your own display busts. I recently read an interesting article by someone who had constructed and painted her own display shapes, but I am afraid that takes a bit more painterly talent than many of us have.

  • Wearing the jewelry yourself. This is a tricky issue. On the one hand, it creates a very realistic picture, but on the other hand many people might shy away from jewelry that has been "worn by someone else".

  • Professional display pieces. I prefer this solution. Companies such as Fire Mountain and Jewelry Display offer numerous display busts, hand and feet, as well as earring displays. Watch out for the surface - I found that black velevet looks good, but attracts dust easily.
I just wish there were more colors out there - sometimes black or white don't work well. I have a blue display bust, and I might invest in a grey one.


Pamela
http://www.lovebeadsunlimited.com

3 Comments:

Blogger Rachel said...

Hi Pamela!

I have several black velvet display pieces and they are beautiful, but trying to keep them dust and lint free about gives me fits (cat hair is especially attracted as I'm sure fellow cat lover's can imagine)!

I love my leatherette busts (purchased very reasonably from nilecorp.com)! I have a few black, which are lovely for displaying my jewelry at shows, but are terrible for taking pictures. I don't know what it is exactly that the black does to the color and light, but it looks horrible.

For pictures, I always use my white or cream colored busts and they work wonderfully.

Grey busts, with their perfectly neutral color, would probably work the best for picture taking and are definitely an investment I'll be making in the near future.

Happy Beading!
~Rachel

10:45 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I've been looking at Nilecorp since I saw your blog item. Some very nice items, at prices that seem reasonable to me. (have not seen any grey necklace busts yet)

3:14 PM  
Blogger Ahmad said...


Wao nice design and Article. Enhance Your Jewelry Display with these Rental Jewelry Showcase in UAE

4:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home