Sunday, October 30, 2005





- Dilbert and the Mink Coat -

I remember an old Dilbert cartoon, in which Dilbert talks to someone during lunch at a restaurant. Dilbert gives his credit card to a waitress, she disappears, Dilbert rants about the dangers of using the internet, then the waitress comes back and returns Dilbert's credit card - but now she is wearing a mink coat.
With apologies to waitresses worldwide, this cartoon has a valid point. While identity theft on the internet is real and all too common, there is plenty of the old-fashioned offline variety going on. I know what I am talking about, as someone recently stole my identity, most likely from the files of a state agency (police investigations are still ongoing, so I cannot be more specific).
Even though you may be protected from direct financial damage, identity theft will cost you. I spent so many hours making phone calls, filling out affidavits, having them notarized, making more phone calls ... it is a nightmare, and it will cost you a lot of time.
Here are some resources that I found useful and wanted to share with you:

So, use reasonable caution and stay safe!

Until next time

Cyberbeader
http://www.lovebeadsunlimited.com

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home